This long circular ride is quicker on an e-bike, but it requires good bike-handling skills on its tight and twisting section of singletrack. It begins in Nauders and heads up to Plamort at over 2,000 metres above sea level, over the Italian border, before heading to Reschen and pase the Reschensee lake back to Tirol. Along the way there are fabulous views of the Cevedale, Königsspitze and Ortler mountains. Fortifications on the border serve as a reminder of the tensions here betweent the First and Second World War. On the way back, riders pass the pretty Naudersberg Castle.
Circular Mountain Bike Ride
- Circular route
- Route with e-bike charging station
- Hotel Post, Nauders
- Hotel Edelweiss, Hauptstraße 28, Reschen
- Car park at Restaurant Mein Dörfl (Vinschgau Cycle Path), Via Paese Vecchio 11, Reschen
- Bottom of Bergkastel Seilbahn cable car, Nauders
Elevation uphill 1,000m
Vertical metres downhill 1,000m
Best time of year
* These are approximate values and recommendations. Please take your personal fitness level, technical ability and the current weather conditions into account. Tirol Werbung cannot guarantee that the information provided is correct and accepts no liability.
Parking available at the ice rink in Grudanatsch, Doktor-Tschiggfrey-Straße
Places serving food & drink
- Panoramarestaurant Bergkastel east of the Stieralm (detour of around 2 km)
- Various locations in Reschen, Italy
- Restaurant Arsangs
- Various locations in Nauders
In Nauders, the route first follows the Doktor-Tschiggfrey-Straße in a northerly direction onto Karl-Blaas-Gasse and then turns right before the parish church of St. Valentin. At the junction Schweinhag/Pazöhlgasse the ride follows route 7038 on a forest path in a south-easterly direction. After about 1.7 kilometres, turn right and cycle slightly uphill into the Brandwald forest until the forest road merges into a forest path after 900 metres. Now keep right and follow route 7038 further into the Piengtal Valley. In front of the Hotel Jochelius, cross the Piengbach stream and cycle back towards the start of the valley on the other side of the stream. Now the trail continues in several hairpins below the Lärchenhanglift and the top of the Bergkastel cable car station through the Kastelwald forest 6.1 kilometres up to the Stieralm at 2,040 metres above sea level. There the Plamort Trail begins, which leads further south, past the Kompatschwald reservoir and finally over the Italian border to the Plamort plateau. At the high moor, follow route 7038 again towards Clopai and Arlundo at Rescensee lake. In Arlundo turn right onto the Vinschgauer Straße and after 1.3 kilometres at Reschen, change to the Vinschgauer Radweg cycle path via the underpass. Parallel to the main road, the route now passes Reschen and crosses the Austrian border back to Nauders. On the way back, you will pass the bottom station of the Bergkastelbahn cable car with the refreshment point in Arsang and an e-bike charging station.