This lovely trail is rated intermediate and climbs through a serene landscape of meadows, forests, lakes and streams, and a thundering waterfall. Winding across the Southern Chiemgau Alps at an elevation of 1,335 meters, you’re off to solitude, stunning views, clean, fresh air and hearty Tirolese specialties, such as the handmade organic cheese that is crafted at Burgeralm Cheese Dairy.
- View the streaming cascade of Lochner Waterfall plunging down a rocky face in a foaming, spewing onrush of unrestrained energy. Slightly above the falls there are awesome views of the waterfall basin.
- Handmade organic cheese is crafted on Burgeralm Alpine Pasture Hut, at an elevation of 1,330 meters. Experience the art of making cheese from pure, grass-fed, raw cow milk at the cheese dairy, watch the cheese making process and sample cheeses. The fine produce is also available for sale onsite.
- Kids will love roaming about the playgrounds at Wandberg Hut and at Burgeralm Alpine Pasture Hut while parents can capture stunning and commanding vistas of rugged Kaiser Mountain Range, Hohe Tauern and Großglockner Mountain.
- On your way down, take in the spectacular views of picture-postcard Walchsee Lake.
- Be prepared to adjust your activity based on current conditions. As a general rule, if there is fresh snow, conditions may be better suited for snowshoeing; if the snow is old and well-travelled, it may be better for winter walking. For avalanche conditions visit lawine.tirol.gv.at
From the soccer field in Walchsee, head towards Oberwinkl. The trail follows the creek to Lochner Waterfall; from there, continue upward at a character-building grade along Trail No. 55b towards Burgeralm and Wandberg Hut. Rated intermediate and gaining 667 meters, it takes some 3 hours to complete this walk.