This hike offers fabulous views of the mountains in the west of Tirol, a region known as the Tirolean Oberland, full of lush meadows and pastures. It starts in the village of Zams in the Upper Inn Valley with a ride on the Venetbahn cable car up to 2,208 metres above sea level onto the Krahberg mountain. After a stop at the Meranzalm hut for a snack and a drink at 1,915 metres above sea level it is time to head for the Zammer Alm hut. While parents relax on the sunny terrace, children can run around to their hearts' content in the adventure play area.
Top of Venetbahn cable car
Meranzalm, Zammer Alm
Car park, bottom of Venetbahn cable car
Approximate hiking time
3 h 30 min
- Wheelchair-accessible Hiking Route
- Circular hike
easy (hiking trails)
Elevation uphill 289m
Vertical metres downhill 834m
Best time of year
* These are approximate values and recommendations. Please take your personal fitness level, technical ability and the current weather conditions into account. Tirol Werbung cannot guarantee that the information provided is correct and accepts no liability.
Parking at the bottom of the Venetbahn cable car (free)
Places serving food & drink
- Venet-Gipfelhütte & Panorama-Restaurant (June until September)
- Meranzalm (Juni until September, open when the Venetbahn cable car is in operation)
- Zammer Alm (mid-June until mid-September, open when the Venetbahn cable car is in operation)
- Various locations in Zams
After riding up onto the mountain using the Venetbahn cable car, the hike begins at the top station of the cable car. Take the "Lärchensteig" path through forested terrain to the Meranzalm hut (approximately one hour). From there continue in a northerly direction through lush meadows and pastures and, after a left turn, through a small gorge towards Krahberg-Speicherteich. Just a few metres later you will see the Zammer Alm hut. From here it is a 20-minute walk to the mid-way station of the Venetbahn cable car, which transports bikers back down into the valley.