No matter how often you ride in the mountains, having the skills to keep your bike under control at all times and knowing how to reach in an emergency is a key part of having fun and staying safe. A number of camps and courses in Tirol teach mountain bike riders everything they need to know for a great day out on the trails.
Having the right bike-handling skills when riding in the mountains saves energy and is an important part of preventing injuries and accidents. Essential skills for staying safe on the trails include dismounting in steep terrain, riding through mud, cornering correctly and mastering steep climbs. In Tirol there are several bike schools run by qualified guides and coaches who are happy to teach both theory and practice behind these skills to singletrack fans, enduro enthusiasts and freeriders. Courses also include important information on how to react in an emergency. A wide range of courses for all age groups and ability levels is available.
Selected MTB camps & courses
- SAAC: SAAC (Snow and Alpine Awarenes Camps) organises several bike camps in Tirol every year. These focus first and foremost on safety, though participants also learn how to behave in alpine terrain. Unlike most other courses, the camps operated by SAAC are free of charge. They are run by qualified MTB guides, generally last two days and address everything from correct bike-handling to preventing accidents and respecting the environment. Click here for more information on SAAC MTB camps
- Bikeacademy, Kirchberg: Founded and run by former pro rider Kurt Exenberger, Austria's first mountain bike school offers many camps for beginners and advanced riders throughout the year. The camps, which are held both in Tirol and beyond, include some specifically designed for children and teenagers. Riders are invited to hit the trails with experienced guides, who use video analysis to give detailed feedback on bike-handling technique and safety aspects. Click here for more information on MTB camps at the Bikeacademy
- Appi.at, Axams: This bike school run by Markus Apperle is located in the village of Axams near Innsbruck and specialises in multi-day guided rides through the Alps as well as offering bike-handling courses and freeride camps. The courses take place both in Tirol and elsewhere. The school has also recently started offering special courses for electric-powered mountain bikes. Pro rider Markus Apperle also offers one-on-one tuition. Click here for more information on MTB camps with Appi.at
- Bikeride-Mountainbikeschule, Innsbruck: What is the correct braking technique? How do I ride switchback corners? How should I shift my weight on steep descents? Questions such as these are answered at the mountain bike courses run in a range of different regions by Manfred Stromberg, pro rider and bike-handling expert for the popular magazine "Mountainbike". Click here for more information on MTB camps at the Bikeride-Mountainbikeschule
- Bike-Schule Innsbruck: During the summer season the Bike-Schule Innsbruck, located at the bottom of the Muttereralmbahn cable car, offers regular camps for youngsters as well as bike-handling courses, taster courses for beginners and special ladies only courses. Some are run in collaboration with the local downhill association "Downhill-Verein Tirol-Innsbruck". There is also a special children's programme open to locals and visitors alike. Click here for more information on MTB camps at the Bike-Schule Innsbruck
- Bikeschule Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis: Situated in one of Tirol's most family-friendly regions, this bike school is aimed at both men and women, beginners and experts, old and young. In the summer months there is a wide range of camps, including some designed especially for female riders. Click here for more information on MTB camps in Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis
- Bikeschool Ride On, Sölden: As well as camps designed just for children and women, this bike school in the Ötztal Valley has workshops and training sessions for riders of all abilities. They include freeride camps for advanced riders, e-bike camps for those who like an extra battery boost in the mountains and flow-ride camps for keen trail riders. Click here for more information on the MTB camps with Bikeschool Ride On
- Area 47, Ötztal Bahnhof: The famous outdoor activity park in the Ötztal Valley offers not only rock climbing and watersports but also bike camps. Each season it offers several multi-day camps, including some which are for women only. The packages include bike hrie and accommodation. Click here for more information on the MTB camps at Area 47