“Kaufhaus Tyrol” is a deceptive title, for instead of a department store, as the name implies, one finds an unexpectedly large shopping mall with some 50 shops on an area that sprawls over 30,000 square meters and that takes up an entire housing block. The name is a reference to the history of the site. As early as in 1908, the first department store in western Austria was created in the Maria-Theresien Street in what is today the pedestrianized main artery of Tirol’s capital. The idea of offering many different kinds of wares beneath a single roof proved to be a great success and resulted in a lasting change in shopping habits. The building itself was a sensation, too, consisting of a concrete skeleton-frame structure with central heating, a lift and a glass roof over an 18-metre-high hall. The new light-flooded mega-store of British star architect David Chipperfield opened in 2010. Using a beautifully made system of precast concrete and full height glazing, the architecture is strikingly and rigorously modern in a historic context. Upon entering visitors find themselves in a five storey naturally lit and highly spatially dynamic atrium which follows the line of an old right of way and provides access to all floors.