Watch nativity scenes at Fischergut or cruise the lake and explore a swimming Christmas Market – there is plenty to see and do on Achensee Lake and around its shores when the most wonderful time of the year rolls around.
Each year in late November, holiday momentum really builds when Advent season unfolds at Achensee Lake Region. As day becomes night on the shores of Tirol’s largest lake, thousands of Christmas lights sparkle and the spicy bouquet of hot mulled wine and gingerbread waft through the air, and spirits are high. St Nicholas will arrive on December 07, 2019, aboard a ship, of course. The “MS Stadt Innsbruck” Steamship invites visitors to view the magic of the holiday lights across the lake through the holiday season. The boat cruises all jetties along the lake, which are adorned in holiday finery. Christmas spirit is in the air at the “Stadt Innsbruck”... The boat features a delightful, tiny Christmas Market, selling all kinds of tasteful and interesting food and gifts. The cruise “Weihnachten wia friaga” (“Christmas as in days long gone by”) recalls childhood memories with peaceful seasonal tunes.
Those staying on land can ease themselves into the festive frenzy with the atmospheric Mountain Christmas event at Fischergut Farm in Pertisau, which presents elaborate local crafts. Especially popular seasonal activities at Achensee Lake Region are the Advent story reading at the walkable Advent wreath, gingerbread decorating and Advent wreath making. There’s plenty to keep the little ones (or the young at heart!) happy here… History comes alive at the Tirol Mountain Christmas event at Sixenhof Farm in Achenkirch, the local heritage museum, and at the Museum Christmas event at the Achensee Museum World in Maurach. Each year, the story of the Holy Night unfolds at a centuries-year old barn at Sixenhof Farm.
Achensee Lake Christmas Highlights:
- St Nicholas visits Fischergut in Pertisau: December 07 at 4:00pm
- Tirol Mountain Christmas at Achental Local Heritage Museum in Achenkirch (Sixenhof Farm): November 24 through December 27, Saturdays, Sundays & Holidays 1:00pm – 5:00pm
- Advent Enchantment in Steinberg am Rofan: Each day at nightfall, a window of the ‘Living Advent Calendar’ is opened: 24 homes display Advent windows
- Lighting of the Advent Candle and Advent story reading at Fischergut in Pertisau: 2:00pm (weekends)
- Nativity scenes, seasonal music and re-enactments of Joseph and Mary’s search for shelter, entitled “Anklöpfler” (literally, knocking at) at Fischergut in Pertisau: 4:00pm (weekends)
- For Little Ones – Christmas letter writing and Christmas crafts: 3:00pm to 5:00pm (weekends)
- Pony riding at Fischergut in Pertisau: 2:00pm to 6:00pm (weekends)
- Creating Advent wreaths and natural Christmas decorations at Fischergut in Pertisau: 4:00pm to 6:00pm (weekends)
- Seasonal wind playing at Fischergut in Pertisau: 6:30pm (weekends)
- Museum Christmas at Achensee Museum World in Maurach: December 08 by 12:00 noon
- Watch and join a local sculptor and carver at Fischergut in Pertisau (for adults and children): 2:00pm to 7:30pm (weekends)