Standing more than 51-meter (150-feet) tall, the Gothic structure is an important historical landmark in the Old Town district, which once served as part of the old city hall. The tower was built between 1442 and 1450 as an observation point for sentries who announced the hours of the day. The guards also maintained civic order at night and monitored the city for fires, hostile intruders and other dangerous situations. The town hall and its tower were the seat of local political activities for centuries, which provided a voice for its citizens. The structure was a medieval symbol that embodied the city’s burgeoning wealth. It was a visible testament that Innsbruck was willing to defend the rights and interests of its citizens as well. A series of 148 steps lead to a viewing deck, which provides sweeping views of the city and the resplendent Nordkette mountain range.
Innsbruck City Tower
June - September: Mondays – Sundays 10:00am – 8:00pm
October – May: Mondays – Sundays 10:00am – 5:00pm
- Family friendly
- Possible in rainy weather
The City Tower is located at the heart of Innsbruck’s Old Town district.