Those who long for a quieter celebration of Christmas, without the hustle and bustle of shopping malls, tinsel, and hectic schedules, are strongly recommended to enjoy the festive season in the medieval town of Rattenberg, Austria’s smallest town.
Standing on the banks of the Inn River, Rattenberg is tucked between the 10th century fortress on the hill and the river. The medieval center of Austria’s smallest town is full of revitalized townhouses, cobbled streets, and alleyways. There will be no Christmas lighting in Rattenberg, instead, the lovely, historic pedestrian precinct will exclusively be lit by candles, torches, and open fires on the four weekends during Advent Season. Rattenberg boasts a contemplative and spirit-filled atmosphere where the true sense of Christmas is cherished and lived.
Moreover, there will be no classical stalls and booths selling goods in Rattenberg. It was the development of the glass industry that brought Rattenberg to the height of its prosperity. Rattenberg’s historic center is dotted by specialist glass shops that will be open during Advent Season, selling their elaborate and unique glass art designs and original hand-blown creations. Culinary delights are available from local inns and restaurants. On Fridays, Joseph and Mary’s search for shelter, entitled “Anklöpfler” (literally, knocking at), is re-enacted in a procession of carolers and historic characters. Don’t miss out on tasting the special Rattenberg Advent Wine, rounded off by elder and served in the original Rattenberg Advent Glass
Rattenberg Advent Season Highlights:
- Romantic Advent Walk: Fridays at 4:00pm (free of charge; limited number of participants; please register in advance by sending an email to email@example.com or call +43 5337 21200 50)
- Traditional wind playing and “Anklöpfler”: Fridays from 5:00pm to 6:00pm
- Cultural program with traditional customs and music on stages throughout town: Saturdays at 2:30pm
- The ‘Search for Shelter’ performed by local actors: Saturdays at 4:00pm
- ‘Ave Maria’ at Sparkassenplatz Square: Sundays & December 08, 2022 at 6:00pm
- Exhibition at Augustiner Museum: Saturdays, Sundays & December 08, 2022 from 3:00pm to 6:00pm. Visiting the exhibition at is Euro 5.00 per adult.