This ride of intermediate difficulty is one where e-bike riders can pile on the elevation gain as they climb 1,350 vertical metres from the valley all the way up to the Hochsteinhütte at 2,023 metres above sea level. The pretty route takes riders along the Drau Cycle Path, up the Pustertaler Höhenstraße with its panoramic views and then along the final section of tarmac road through a forest to the hut, which is located just above the treeline. Magnificent views of the valley below and mountains on the horizon including the Lienz Dolomites and the Großglockner, Austria's highest mountain, are a fine reward for all that effort.
Mountain Bike Ride
Hochsteinhütte (2,023 metres)
- Circular route
- Route with e-bike charging station
E-bikes can be hired from a number of shops including:
- Pro Bike Lienz, Amlacherstraße 1a, Lienz
- Papin Sport – Rent a Bike, Bahnhofsgelände Lienz (mid-June until late August)
- Dolomite.Bike, Mühlgasse 29, Lienz
- Bike-Center Amlach, Seestr. 20, Amlach
Elevation uphill 1,350m
Vertical metres downhill 1,350m
Best time of year
* These are approximate values and recommendations. Please take your personal fitness level, technical ability and the current weather conditions into account. Tirol Werbung cannot guarantee that the information provided is correct and accepts no liability.
The ride begins at the Dolomitenstadion stadium in Lienz. From there, ride along the eastern side of the Drau river via Amlach all the way to Leisach,. Here the path crosses over onto the other side of the river. In Leisach, turn left onto the main road and, after just a few hundred metres, turn right onto the Pustertaler Höhenstraße. Follow the road uphill as far as Bannberg folgen (including some steep sections), then follow the signs for "Hochstein". Continue along the tarmac road, with plenty of shade in the forest, all the way up to the car park at Hochstein (1,980 metres). From there it is then just a matter of 400 metres or so along a forest road to reach the Hochsteinhütte (2,023 metres). After all that climbing, riders can look forward to a hearty meal and refreshing drink on the terrace offering magnificent views. Return along the same route.