A wonderful destination for hikers of all ages and abilities, Salvesenbach River puts on quite a show in Tarrenz as it tumbles and froths over rapids and beneath ledges. This 5-kilometer long, family-friendly walk winds through the dramatic and deep gorge that was carved by the rushing wild creek and past strange geological formations. Amble or while away the afternoon, or combine this hike with nearby Bewitched Children’s Trail which is a treat for kids.
- At the head of the gorge you will notice terrestrial freshwater carbonates occurring as calcareous sinter. Walk along the crashing river, gazing into rapids and swirls and admiring tight and narrow chasms that thunder when the water level is high. Spectacular rapids-fed scree and gravel bowls will hold your attention.
- It is exhilarating to downright nerve-wracking to cross “Hoher Übergang“, a tiny bridge that spans the tight chasm with the creek churning 40 meters below.
- The Bewitched Children’s Trail is a treat for kids because of the story boards: 16 signs along the way offer an account of „Salvesia“, the Witch, and a stunning nature trivia quiz that is bustling with tasks to stimulate curious minds.
- One section of the trail runs along the Sculpture Park, which is definitely well worth visiting.
- In immediate vicinity you will find a Children’s Nature Trail and a wildlife enclosure.