Six Christmas Markets, 200 stalls and a 14-meter tall Christmas tree full of sparkling and glittering crystals—from the Golden Roof to 300 meters above town at Hungerburg: During Advent Season, Tirol’s capital Innsbruck comes fully alive with a feverish Christmastime gaiety.
With holiday lights illuminating the six Christmas Markets with its distinctive stalls and rich variety of seasonal events, Innsbruck is a gift for visitors of all ages! What makes Innsbruck Mountain Christmas this special is that the markets take place against spectacular mountain backdrops and combine tradition and modernity, mountain adventure and urban sophistication. In the midst of the picturesque, medieval town center of Innsbruck, surrounded by majestic, snow-covered mountains at the foot of the world famous Golden Roof, you will find Innsbruck’s oldest and largest market, a Christmas bazaar of truly Alpine flavour. Over 70 chalets packed full of gorgeous Christmas gifts line the cobbled alleys surrounding the famous Golden Roof at the old town district. Fairytale figures are brought to life in a series of stunning displays, along with live storytelling at nearby lanes and the observation deck offers stunning views of the old town district adorned in holiday finery.
The lovely Christmas Market at Hungerburg, situated 300 meters above Innsbruck, competes for bragging rights. Innsbruck’s highest Christmas Market boasts panoramic views of Innsbruck. The Christmas Market on Market Square celebrates the sights, sounds and scents of Christmas with a 14-meter tall Christmas tree decorated with thousands of sparkling and glittering Swarovski crystals and is the place to go for families with kids. It comes complete with puppet theaters, storytelling and more. Contemporary holiday illuminations and stalls selling goods from all over the world adorn Maria-Theresien Street, Innsbruck’s main artery. Enchanting Wiltener Platzl Square and St. Nikolaus district are transformed into artistic wonderlands, where distinctive stalls invite you to browse elaborate crafts.
Innsbruck Mountain Christmas Highlights:
- Fairytale performances on the Fairytale Stage (Old Town): Nov 15 to Dec 23, daily at 4:30pm and at 5:30pm
- Wind playing from the Golden Roof (Old Town): Nov 15 to Dec 23, daily at 5:30pm
- Play to celebrate the 200th anniversary of “Silent Night, Holy Night”: December 03, 2019 at 5:00pm
- Saint Nicholas will visit Innsbruck’s lovely old town on December 05 at 5:00pm (from St. Nicholas Church to the Cathedral)
- Senior & Kids Afternoon with great savings (Market Square): Nov 15 to Dec 23, Wednesdays from 2:00pm to 5:00pm
- Performances given by students of the Innsbruck Music Academy (Old Town): Nov 15 to Dec 23, daily at 6:00pm
- Crafts demonstration and market (Hungerburg): Nov 25 to Dec 23, Mondays to Thursdays