Lush meadows, craggy mountains and Tirol's largest lake – welcome to Lake Achensee! This region is perfect for families who love to explore the great outdoors, with activities ranging from hiking and rock climbing to watersports out on the lake.
Holidays are a welcome opportunity to relax and spend time with the family. What better place to do so than around Lake Achensee, the largest lake in Tirol? This area offers countless outdoor activities such as cycling, hiking, rock climbing and watersports, while those who want to relax can explore the lake on one of the sightseeing boats or cool off on a hot day by taking the plunge in the turquoise waters. Visitors who want to test their nerves should visit the high-rope adventure park in Achenkirch featuring a series of obstacles up to 15 metres above the ground. There are also special activity programmes organised for children and teenagers throughout the summer. Holders of the AchenseeCard, which all visitors receive free of charge at their accommodation when they check in, receive many benefits such as free use of the local bus network and discounts on cable cars, the narrow gauge railway around the lake and the sightseeing boats which criss-cross Lake Achensee.
Highlights of the free weekly activity programme
From late June until the end of August, children and teenagers can take part in free activities from Monday to Friday. Highlights include:
- Rock climbing on Tuesdays: Children aged 4 to 11 years can test their nerve on the climbing wall and zipwire (9:30, tourism information office Maurach).
- Star hike for all the family: Enchanting evening hike starting when the sun goes down (Mondays, 20:00, Marienkirche church in Maurach).
- Nighttime adventure for families (Wednesdays, 20:00, Alpen Caravan Park Achensee)
- Wild West at Lake Achensee: Teenagers embark on a riding adventure with real American quarterhorses (Wednesdays, 14:00, Reitstall Achensee, Pertisau)
- Water action for teens: Tubing and pool diving for children aged 12 years and above (Thursdays, 10:00, tourism information office Achenkirch)