This walk of intermediate difficulty into the Wolfsklamm gorge near the village of Stans is a great day out for allthe family. It is around seven kilometres in length, beginning and ending in Stans (563 metres above sea level). Total hiking time is 2-3 hours. Along the way, walkers must overcome 354 steps up through the gorge, with the thundering water an ever-present companion. At the top of the gorge you will find the monastery of St. Georgenberg (930 metres), the highest place of pilgrimagein Tirol. The monastery also has a restaurant serving hearty local food. Walkers will need sturdy footwear and should be sure-footed.
Approximate hiking time
2 h 30 min
- Wheelchair-accessible Hiking Route
- Circular hike
intermediate (red mountain trails)
Elevation uphill 370m
Vertical metres downhill 370m
Best time of year
* These are approximate values and recommendations. Please take your personal fitness level, technical ability and the current weather conditions into account. Tirol Werbung cannot guarantee that the information provided is correct and accepts no liability.
- Accessible using public transport
Bus route 4111, get off at stop Stans Schlagturn
Car park at Brandstetterhof or next to tge Laurentiuskirche church at the eastern end of the village.
Places serving food and drink
- Gasthaus in St. Georgenberg,
- Das Marschall
- Der Brandstetterhof
- Hotel Schwarzbrunn in Stans
From the centre of Stans, follow the signs into the Wolfsklamm gorge. The first section of the path leads gently uphill, followed by a section with steps and narrow trails along the rock faces and waterfalls. The final section leads over a wooden bridge to the monastery of St. Georgenberg. The route back to Stans is intially the same, but hikers should then cross the bridge and follow the wide "Pilgerweg" trail back down.