The views of the mighty Stuibenfall waterfall in Niederthai in the Ötztal Valley are well worth it, even if the hike up is hard work. It is the bigest waterfall in Tirol with an impressive height of 159 metres from top to bottom. There are five separate platforms from which visitors can hear the thundering water and feel the spray. There are also fine views of the Ötztal Valley. On the way back you can pay a visit to the famous Ötzi Village in Umhausen, a living museum giving fascinating insights into what life was like in the region 5,000 years ago.
Approximate hiking time
4 h 30 min
- Wheelchair-accessible Hiking Route
- Circular hike
intermediate (red mountain trails)
Elevation uphill 558m
Vertical metres downhill 558m
Best time of year
* These are approximate values and recommendations. Please take your personal fitness level, technical ability and the current weather conditions into account. Tirol Werbung cannot guarantee that the information provided is correct and accepts no liability.
- Accessible using public transport
Places serving food & drink
- Waldcafé Stuböbele (May until October)
- Various locations in Niederthai
- Various locations in Umhausen
The hike starts on the Bischofsparkplatz car park in Umhausen. It is there that the "Waalweg Arzwinkel" path begins, including an educational nature trail, heading in an easterly direction. This narrow trail winds its way around 300 vertical metres up to the Stuibenfall waterfall. Head uphill through the forest before crossing the Stuibenfall and reaching the last platform. After a sit down and a rest it is time to head past the hamlet of Höfle (Niederthai), following the blue signs ("Wasserläufer"). This route leads along a section of the Umhausen High Trail. The downhill section begins at the Murbach river and heads down along a series of switchback turns to Umhausen. Once down in the valley, there are around two kilometres of trail left along the edge of the forest. Head through fields and over a river to the Ötzi Village and then back to the starting point.